Did you know that there are more than a dozen bulldog breeds to choose from if you are looking for a bulldog as your next pet? But it is always essential to crosscheck the animal and the breeder from which you will be getting your puppy.
The Bulldog puppies are broadly classified under three categories – the American bulldog puppies, the French bulldog puppies, and the English bulldog puppies. To find the best bulldog breeder, one must start by talking to people in the business. For instance, you may ask your local vet, who can provide you with enough information about your needs and the kind of pet that would suit your lifestyle. Not only this, but popular dog breeders are also known by local vets, and, thus, you may ask them about the same. Also, you may ask your relatives and neighbors who own dogs and take their feedback on how reliable their dog’s breeder was.
It is often recommended for new pet keepers to visit a local dog show before acquiring knowledge about the most trustworthy dog breeders in the town. Once you get in touch with the most potential dog breeder, you may visit his dog home to check out the best puppy that they have. You can also get in an informative conversation with your breeder to know their outlook on dogs as pets.
There are several characteristics of a good dog breeder that you must note while you visit your local breeder to get your first pet bulldog.
- Check the breeder’s space: Your breeder should allow you to visit all the places where he keeps the puppies and their parents. You may also look to ensure that the grounds are well maintained and the kennels are odorless. There must also be arrangements for dogs to exercise.
- Ensure that the pups are bred healthily: The breeder must not be a puppy mill that is just interested in churning out a high number of pups to increase his yearly profit. One must note whether all the dogs are treated with love and care and whether such dogs are clean and energetic.
- Check for a waiting list and booking formalities: To ensure your booking, if the bulldog puppies are not readily available, you can get your name enrolled in the waiting list so that post the mating season, you can get yourself the first litter of the year. These letters are usually born during autumn and spring, and, thus, you may schedule your appointment accordingly.
- Take note of the breeder’s knowledge about puppies and dogs: The best identification for a good breeder is their knowledge about the types of puppies they are breeding and should answer all your questions related to dogs. It is also important to note that most dedicated dog breeders breed only two or three dog breeds and, hence, have more than sufficient knowledge about the same.
- Spend some time with the puppy: The breeder must also know about the perfect conditions and environment for proper nourishment and development. This must also include proper socialization, and the buyer must spend one-on-one time with the puppy before getting it.
- Check with the local veterinarian for reference: Most popular breeders are well known by local veterinarians, and, thus, you can inquire about the best breeders from the vets themselves. Also, a good breeder must know about the most suitable vets in town, and, thus, this can be one of the most suitable criteria for judging the breeder’s credibility.
- Complete knowledge about the puppy’s breeding: At the time of getting the puppies, you must be provided with the document illustrating all the information, including the name of parents and grandparents of the puppy, along with any other genetic disabilities or underlying disease which the puppy or his previous generations are suffering from.
Being a pet parent is a beautiful thing and being in touch with a good breeder makes having a pet a smooth ride. Check for these factors while choosing your breeder, and you will have a smooth ride while getting your next bulldog pup.