According to various researches, thousands of accidents in the US happen due to drivers struggling to keep their eyes open, out of which thousands of them are fatal. Similar to drunk driving or distracted driving, drowsy driving is equally dangerous. You can invite multiple legal problems if you are the driver and get into an accident due to drowsy driving.
In such a case, a St. Louis car accident attorney can help you fight for your case. Similarly, if you become a victim of a drowsy driving accident, a lawyer can provide all the legal steps to get the deserving compensation.
Additionally, to avoid getting into drowsy driving accidents, here are the top six tips that you can follow.
- Getting sufficient sleep: An average adult must get at least seven to nine hours of sufficient sleep to avoid being tired or drowsy behind the wheel. Not having sufficient sleep can lead to unwanted accidents. In addition, this should be strictly taken care of if you have a long trip ahead.
- Have someone to switch places with or take breaks in between: For long drives, it is essential to take breaks in between. Depending on your destination, you could take breaks, stretch out your body, grab your favorite snacks, and relax for a while. Furthermore, you could have someone switch places to avoid draining or exhaustion.
- Take caffeinated beverages: Between your breaks, you must take plenty of caffeinated drinks that will help you stay awake. Remember, caffeinated drinks may not work for everyone.
- Avoid medications that can make you drowsy: Do not take any over-the-counter or prescription medications that can make you drowsy or sleepy. Many of the medication labels have warning signs so that you can take preventive measures accordingly.
- Avoid driving at night or time of your sleeping schedule: Driving during the time of your sleep can automatically make you drowsy, putting you at risk of car accidents. Suppose you sleep at midnight, avoid driving at past 12. Similarly, if you sleep during the afternoon, it would help if you avoid driving during your nap/sleep time.
- Listen to your favorite music or engaging radio: You can feel drowsy for several reasons. However, listening to your favorite music and grooving along can help you stay awake. Additionally, you can switch to an engaging radio that keeps you up and does not make you feel sleepy.
In drowsy driving accidents, having a lawyer by your side will ease the hassle of dealing with insurance companies. The insurance company will try to minimize the insurance claim amount by blaming you most of the time. However, a lawyer will fight for your case and talk to the insurance company on your behalf.