Dentures are worn by individuals who lost one or more teeth. It serves as a permanent solution to restore the appearance of one person while allowing them to enjoy proper tooth function for chewing, looks, and overall oral health. There are many issues that can lead to the need to wear dentures. Your dentist in downtown Ottawa will tell you that the most common reasons for the need to wear dentures:
- Decay – Years of decay can lead to teeth rotting and falling out. Tooth decay is a result of different things such as poor oral hygiene and hereditary factors. Your local dentists can work with you to help find solutions and prevent tooth decay.
- Gum Diseases – Gum diseases, when left untreated, can result in loss of teeth making dentures a necessity to restore your smile and chewing mechanics. Gum disease is the leading cause of denture use worldwide for adults.
Have you been experiencing symptoms like tender and swollen gums, bloody gums when brushing or chewing hard and chewy food, and shifting or loose teeth? Make sure to see your dentist as soon as possible to prevent tooth loss.
- Injury – Sometimes, tooth loss is not a gradual process but rather a sudden event like an accident. An accident can cause a significant injury to the face that can result in one or more teeth falling out. Sometimes, teeth can still be preserved and implanted but if the injury is too severe, the least that can be done is to take the tooth off and wear dentures.
Wearing dentures is a quick and easy way of restoring your smile and chewing mechanism after an injury. Sports injuries and traffic accidents are among the top reasons for injuries affecting the mandible bone and teeth.
Dentures are relatively easy to wear and maintain. These can restore the perfect smile of individuals, help in improving their confidence. Because of the different reasons for wearing dentures, they also come in different types.
Types of Dentures and Cost
You and your dentist will work together to determine the kind of denture that will suit your situation and needs best. It is advised that you discuss the different denture options you have. Here’s a look at the options that you have:
Full or Complete Dentures
Full or complete dentures can either be classified into conventional or immediate. It is made once all of the teeth have been removed and the gum tissue begins to heal. This is a replacement and can be worn just 12 weeks after all of the teeth have been removed.
On the other hand, immediate dentures are made in advance and positioned the moment the teeth are removed. Because of this, the wearer will not have a day without any teeth even within the healing period. But then this time the bones and gums are still healing and are expected to shrink over time rendering the dentures ill-fitting in the long run. Patients need to have these replaced or adjusted to fit again after the bones and gums have healed.
The price of a complete denture varies greatly on the material to be used and the oral health condition of the patients. Generally, plastic dentures are the least expensive while ceramic ones are priced slightly higher.
Individuals who lost one or more teeth but have a majority of them in a healthy position can opt for partial dentures. These are removable dentures also called bridges and consist of replacement teeth attached to a gum-coloured plastic base. It can also be connected by a metal framework to hold the denture in place in the mouth.
Patients can wear fixed bridges to replace one or more teeth that created a space between the healthy ones. Aside from filling the space created by the missing teeth, this denture type can also help keep them in place as shifting is a common occurrence when there are gaps. For a more natural-looking appearance, patients can choose the precision partial denture which is removable and has internal attachments instead of clasps.
Because this denture is used only to cover one or more teeth, it costs much lesser than fuller dentures. The cost is still affected by the kind of material the patient wishes to use.
Cantilever bridges are worn to solve the problem of a missing tooth. Adults are likely to experience tooth loss to decay or injury and the best way to fill this gap is by using a fixed bridge. This non-removable, custom-made prosthetic device is named after the bridge that extends from one side of a river to the other and is supported by abutments on one end. Therefore, this denture is used when there is only one adjacent supporting tooth. This bridge is used to replace a missing front tooth. It is a conservative and the least expensive denture option that looks more natural and easier to maintain. The risks of it causing decay on adjacent teeth is much lower, too. Find an oral health professional to get the right dental bridge Guelph.
Dental implants are metal posts or frames that are positioned into the jawbone beneath the gums through surgery. After the implants are placed, the dentist will mount the replacement teeth onto them.
There are two types of implants that most dental professionals in the world consider safe:
- Endosteal implants – These are surgically implanted directly into the jawbone. A second surgery is done after the surrounding gum tissue has healed to connect a post to the original implant. The third step is to attach the artificial tooth either individually or as a group.
- Subperiosteal implants – These consist of a metal frame fitted onto the jawbone below the gum tissue. Once the gums heal, the frame will be fixed onto the jawbone. Posts will be attached to the frame before the artificial teeth are mounted to the posts.
Implants, like removable dentures, can either be full or partial. Partial implants are for those individuals with only a few teeth missing and have healthy ones left. The full implants are for individuals with either the upper or lower set of teeth completely gone.
Among all the denture types implants are considered to be the most stable because they are implanted into the jawbone. They won’t slip or shift in the mouth when eating or speaking. The secure fit helps the wearer enjoy a more natural feel compared to conventional bridges or dentures.
Patients who wish to have implants may also have to consider their budget. Unlike other denture types, they are expected to be the most expensive. You need to find an oral surgeon, a specialist dentist, to conduct the procedure.
There are several options for dentures London depending on your condition and budget. Ask a dental health professional to help you choose the best option.