How to Receive Compensation for Past Child Sexual Abuse Trauma

Sexual abuse is a heinous crime that happens more often than we would like to think. Many survivors of childhood sexual abuse struggle for years before coming to terms with what happened to them. The predators may be family members, babysitters, coaches, or anyone in a position of power or authority over the child. The physical, emotional, and psychological scars can be profound and long-lasting. Trauma from sexual abuse can lead to problems with trust, self-esteem, relationships, and mental health issues. If you are a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, you may wonder if you can receive compensation for the trauma you have suffered.

Below are five different ways you can receive compensation;

1. File a Report with the Police

Suppose you were sexually abused as a child; you can file a police report. It can help bring your abuser to justice and prevent them from harming other children. The compensation you receive from the police will be in the form of justice.

2. Contact an Attorney

Contact a lawyer who specializes in this type of case. They will review your case and let you know if you have a viable legal claim. To win a civil lawsuit (this is a separate process from criminal charges), you will need to prove that the perpetrator engaged in sexual abuse and that this abuse inflicted emotional damage on you. If you have police reports or medical records that document the abuse, this will strengthen your case. You will also need to show that the sexual abuse occurred within the statute of limitations, which varies from state to state.

Suppose you are successful in your civil lawsuit; you may be awarded monetary damages. This can be used to pay for therapy, medical expenses, and other costs associated with sexual abuse. It can also help to provide some measure of justice and closure for what happened to you.

3. Seek Compensation from the State

You may also be able to receive compensation from the state if the abuser was a member of the clergy or worked at a school or camp. There are laws that require these organizations to report child sexual abuse. If they didn’t, they might be held responsible. You can also receive compensation from the state if the abuser is a government employee. This is because many states have victim compensation programs that can help cover the costs of associated expenses, e.g., therapy.

4. Receive Compensation from the Federal Government

Suppose a Native American sexually abused you, and you may be able to receive compensation from the federal government. This is because the federal government has a program that compensates victims of sexual abuse on Native American reservations. The compensation can come in the form of therapy or medical expenses.

5. Seek Compensation from a Private Organization

You may also be able to receive compensation from a private organization, such as the Boy Scouts of America. This is because many private organizations have been found liable for failing to prevent child sexual abuse.


Suppose you or someone you know is a victim of child sexual abuse; above are some ways you can receive compensation. Talking about your experience with others can be very helpful in healing the emotional wounds of child sexual abuse.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button