Canada is one of the most popular destinations for students who want to study abroad. The safe environment, world-class infrastructure, and some top-ranking universities make Canada a great choice to pursue studies. Interestingly, Canada has the lowest tuition fees compared to the US and UK. Hence, the number of Scholarships in Canada is comparatively lesser.
While applying for a scholarship in Canada, students must research what the scholarship covers. Is it fully funded or not? What is the scholarship duration? Does it include the monthly stipend and living costs?
Although the tuition fee is on the lower side, the cost of living in Canada is high, which means funding study in Canada for Indian students can be challenging. Students must research, and keep their academic results, reference letters and relevant documents handy while enrolling to Study in Canada.
Let us look at the top 5 scholarships to study in Canada.
1. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- The government of Canada sponsors the Vanier CGS, named after the first governor-general of Canada, Georges P Vanier.
- It is considered the best scholarship in Canada that attracts highly qualified doctoral students worldwide.
- The Vanier Canada scholarship awards 50,000 CAD (approx. 30, 00,000 INR) per year for a maximum of 3 years of study.
- More than 150 students get scholarships every year, distributed among the participating universities.
- Students from different research areas, including Health, Natural Science & Engineering, and the Social Science and Humanities, can apply for this scholarship.
- The selection criteria give equal weightage to students’ academic excellence, research and leadership potential. You may find more details at vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html
2. International Undergraduate Leadership Scholarships
- The faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies (LA&PS) at York University offers this scholarship at admission.
- International students who want to pursue an Undergraduate degree program can get this Scholarship in Canada.
- The scholarship is based on academic excellence, community service, and leadership’s skills in sports or arts.
- Every year 50 international students get scholarship valued at 10,000 CAD (approximately 6, 00,000 INR) per year. The scholarship is renewable every year as long as students get a minimum average score of B+, making the total fund amount 40,000 CAD (24,00,000 INR.)
- The scholarship is not open for certificate programs; it is only valid for international students enrolling in York University for an undergraduate degree program.
- Hence, there is no need to have a university offer to get the scholarship. You may find more details here .
3. University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship
- Every year, the University of Calgary awards this scholarship to two chosen international students.
- Students enrolling in any graduate program with an excellent academic background are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Students need to clear English proficiency tests and remain consistent with their academics to avail of this 15,000 CAD (9, 00,000 INR) scholarship towards their tuition fee.
- The scholarship is re-evaluated every year and is renewable till the fourth year. You may find more details of this scholarship in Canada here.
4. Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Scholarship
- The Doctoral Scholarship dedicated to the former PM of Canada is open to international Ph.D. scholars.
- Students doing a full-time doctorate in human rights and dignity, people and natural environment, responsible citizens, Canada and the world are eligible for this scholarship.
- The total scholarship amount is 40,000 CAD (24, 00,000 INR) per year for three years. In addition to tuition fees, the students also get an allowance of up to 20,000 CAD (12, 00,000 INR) for their research, travel, networking and learning new languages.
- The foundation awards these Canadian scholarships to 16 students every year. The students must be accepted and enrolled in a Canadian doctorate program to become eligible to receive this funding. Read here to find more details.
5. Lester B. Pearson International Student Scholarships
- The University of Toronto offers 37 scholarships to international students with excellent academic backgrounds and leadership skills.
- If you want to do your bachelor’s degree and study in Canada. In that case, this scholarship is a perfect opportunity to fund your education.
- The scholarship covers entire tuition fees for four years of the degree program, including accommodation, books and other incidental expenses. You may find more details about this scholarship in Canada at https://studyabroad.shiksha.com/scholarships/canada-cp .